We skipped out on a lot of the Derby Festival activities this year. John, Grandpa, and MJ took Edie down to the Boat Club for some of the Thunder over Louisville festivities. I heard she learned how to eat a hot dog like a champ. We didn't make it to the Pegasus Parade, but Edie watched it on TV and got so excited watching all the floats. I'll have to take her down there next year. She loved watching the news all week. With all the horse coverage, she'd point and yell "Neigh" every time a story about the track or horses came on!
Edie spent Derby Day with Uncle Todd and Aunt Breia, and had fun seeing Uncle Todd's office and playing with his cat Mugsy. They got rained out from going to the zoo but she still had a great time anyway.
John and I got a special derby treat this year and were invited to go to Derby Brunch and showing of the new baby horses at Hermitage Farm, which is (was) owned by the President of the Board of Churchill Downs. It's a beautiful horse farm, with a really neat historic home where the brunch was held. It was built with 2 front doors - one for the working side and one for the business side of the house. It was a gorgeous setting, and despite a bit of rain it was the perfect way to kick off derby day. The farm actually sold the following Monday to new owners, so it might be the last year for the derby brunch/horse show so we were glad to be able to attend. As a side note, I saw on the news the other night that Uncle Mike is the Landscape Architect who will be working for the new owners of Hermitage Farm on it's development (hopefully not too much development though as it's a little piece of history just perfect as it is)! Also in attendance at the brunch was news reporter Bob Schaffer, and i had the pleasure of meeting him!
It spitted rain most of the day, but thankfully didn't produce the huge thunderstorms as predicted. Our seats were undercover in the 3rd floor clubhouse, just in front of the turf club. It's the perfect spot to watch the finish line, and be able to spot the celebrities who are in the turf club! This year we saw Nick Lachey & Vanessa Manillo, Ashlee Simpson, Travis Tritt, Rick Pitino(boo), and numerous other sports celebrities.
Nick & Vanessa, Travis Tritt
It spitted rain all day, but just before post time the sun came out which seemed like a magical moment! Super Saver and Calvin Borel won Derby 136. I still can't believe Calvin won it again! I didn't win anything, but john had the Exacta box! Here are some pics of the race, and a video of the playing of My Old Kentucky Home as the horses come out onto the track. I accidently cut it off a couple times, so i had to piece it together - I'm sorry for it's choppiness. This is my favorite part of the day, and always brings a tear to my eye! I heard the TV coverage showed Calvin Borel with tears flowing down his face during My Old Kentucky Home. A few minutes later, and he's the Derby winner again!

No comments:
Post a Comment